General terms & Conditions Open Call for Curators
PROCEDURE & SELECTION CRITERIA
All received complete applications are assessed by State of Fashion’s Creative Advisory Council. This council proposes a shortlist of candidates to the Board of Directors and Management Team of State of Fashion. The selection criteria are:
- Connection to the key questions. How well does the proposal relate to the key questions?
- Relevance and critical consistency of the proposed outline.
- Distinctive quality. Is this proposal distinctive? Is it an inspiring new concept, a driver of change, and as such an interesting and inspirational addition to State of Fashion?
- Interdisciplinarity. Does the proposal have collaborative and interdisciplinary aspects and possibilities?
- Outreach. How does this proposal affect the production and consumption of the fashion system, and how does this become visible?
- Impact. How does the proposal impact the intended target audience? And how does it create engagement?
- Diversity & Inclusivity. How does the application represent a pluriversal view?
12 March 2023
Deadline for submitting applications.
State of Fashion will inform the participants about the pre-selection by 31 March 2023.
March - April 2023
Interviews selected candidates.
End of April 2023
Announcement curatorial team 2024 at the end of April.
Launch event theme Biennale 2024.
Opening State of Fashion Biennale 2024.
May till the end of June 2024
State of Fashion Biennale 2024.
Arnhem, the Netherlands
GENERAL TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. Individuals, duo’s and collectives can equally apply. In case of duo’s or groups, the application mentions one main contact person for the procedure (hereafter referred to as applicant).
2. Applications should be written in English.
3. Only complete applications that have been received before the above mentioned deadline will be taken into consideration for further assessment.
4. Only one application per person or team will be accepted.
5. Applicants do not pay an application fee for this Open Call.
6. State of Fashion will not reimburse participants' entries.
7. State of Fashion will not go into correspondence about the selection.
8. The selected proposals that require further elaboration (the second round) will possibly be reimbursed, depending on the request from State of Fashion.
9. State of Fashion reserves the right, if deemed necessary, not to select any proposal.
10. All proposals will be treated as strictly confidential.
11. The ownership of the intellectual property rights of the proposal shall belong to the applicant. The applicant is aware of the legislation related to the protection of intellectual property and the rules for the protection of privacy and data use related to the General Data Protection Law.
TASK DESCRIPTION & RENUMERATION
The curator (or team) will be involved on a project basis from May 2023 and until the end of the Biennale in June/July 2024. The main tasks of the curatorial team will be:
- Developing the theme / curatorial direction for the Biennale in 2024, and writing an inspiring curatorial statement.
- Translating the curatorial vision into an inspiring and successful public event in close cooperation with the State of Fashion Programme Team.
- Connecting his/her/their network to generate meaningful partnerships, research projects and other initiatives for the biennale.
- Acting as spokesperson from the curator (or team) of the Biennial 2024 for press and media.
For this part-time commitment, the curator (or team) receives a project-based fee. The Sonsbeek & State of Fashion Foundation is a non-profit organization and takes the regulations of fair practice as a basis for its renumeration.